The First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) and First Nations Schools Association (FNSA) are pleased to be managing the Department of Indigenous Services Canada (DISC) 2020-2021 Cooperative Education Program (Co-op) for First Nations schools. The Co-op Program activities are for students in grades 7 to 12 who are enrolled in and attending a First Nations school and who are ordinarily resident on reserve.
Please note: As the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues to evolve, FNESC is committed to continuing supports for First Nations and to adapt program delivery approaches to reflect the current situation. Please consult the COVID-19 Recommendations & Support in the program guidelines for more information to assist in the proposal process during these unprecedented times.
Please submit your proposal by Friday, September 11, 2020 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 604-925-6097.
Cooperative Education Resources, 2020-2021
The program has the following objectives:
- to promote the benefits of education as key to labour market participation
- to support the development and enhancement of essential employability skills among First Nations youth such as communication skills, problem solving and working with others
- to introduce youth to a variety of career options
- to support the provision of mentored school-based work and study opportunities such as co-operative education and internships
- to help First Nation youth overcome barriers to employment
Key expected results of the Co-op are:
- enhanced employability skills for participating First Nations youth
- increased awareness of the benefits of education
- enhanced ability to make employment-related decisions
- improved attitudes toward the transition from school to work
- increased ability of First Nations youth to participate in the labour market
The key activities of Co-op are:
- training experiences that support youth in acquiring skills needed for work placements
- career development information, including awareness and support activities like career fairs and leadership projects
- career planning and counselling activities