August 23-24, 2018
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel Britannia A Room
7551 Westminster Highway, Richmond, BC
REGISTRATION IS FREE!
Registration deadline July 31, 2018
Eligible registrants must:
- Represent a BC First Nations school;
- Either be in a school leadership position or aspire to be a school leader; and
- Members of First Nation School Governing Authorities
The First Nations Schools Association is pleased to offer the 2018 Short Course for leaders in BC First Nation schools. Our annual Short Course is intended to provide principals and aspiring leaders, with quality professional development and networking experiences.
Day 1 – Thursday, August 23
Tina Boogren – Supporting Beginning Teachers
All First Nation Schools welcome beginning teachers to their communities and schools. Tina will guide us through key research, and examine the four types of support-physical, emotional, instructional, and institutional – that are crucial during a teacher’s first year in the classroom. Discover essential strategies for K-12 mentors, coaches, school leaders and governing authorities to develop an effective mentoring program.
All participants will also receive a copy of Supporting Beginning Teachers.
Day Two – Friday, August 24
Members of First Nation Governing Authorities will join Nathan Matthew as they discuss:
The Leadership Role of School Governance and the complementary Role of the Principal:
- Working Effectively in a Collaborative Manner
- Establishing the School’s Mission, Vision, and Values
- Supporting the School’s Professional Development Efforts
- Effective Structures and Meeting Strategies
School Administrators will be able to choose from a variety of workshops. Just to name a few . . .
- A Principal’s Survival Guide to Special Education Services – Holly Smith
- Being Directive, Calm and Caring – Sue Gower
- The Best of Both Worlds: Language and Culture and Academic Rigour – Finding the Balance – Kirsten Baker Williams
- Leading the Change – Using Excel to do the work for you to manage data! – Ernie Janzen
- So You Are New To First Nation Schools! Finding out about the “ropes”! – Michelle Canaday
- Teacher Retention – so now I have them, how do I keep them? – Keri Blacker
Participants must cover their own travel and hotel costs. Expenses will NOT be reimbursed.
Hotel Booking Online booking
Toll free reservation line: 1-800-663-0299
Group name: Principals Short Course 2018
Group code: PH19AC
Room rates: starting at $229 plus taxes & fees (17.16%)
Book your accommodation by July 31, 2018
Breakfast and lunch are provided. Contact us 3 weeks in advance regarding major food allergies or mobility concerns
Questions firstname.lastname@example.org or Toll-free 1-877-422-3672