The BC First Nations Education Steering Committee and First Nations Schools Association are pleased to announce an opportunity for First Nation schools to access one-time only grants to assist with COVID-19 related start-up costs in September 2020. Using funding accessed through a variety of sources, all First Nation schools are being offered a funding amount that has been calculated according to student FTE enrolment numbers.
In mid-August 2020 First Nation school principals were sent a notice about their school’s allocation, including application instructions.
Letters of Intent must be submitted no later than September 15, 2020. After that date, the start-up grants will no longer be available and the remaining funding will be used to sponsor other support activities. Submit to email@example.com or by fax to 604-925-6097.
These grants are intended to sponsor activities such as:
- the purchase of technology or other learning resources for students in the event that some remote learning will continue in the coming school year;
- the purchase of plexiglass, other types of barriers, wall mounted disinfectant dispensers, new or added furniture, kitchen supplies, etc. to prepare the school for returning staff and students;
- the purchase of personal protection products, safety supplies (eg. masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, etc.), or cleaning supplies;
- school wide cleaning, such as HVAC systems, etc.;
- school bus adaptations to safely transport students; etc.
In order to access your grant, please complete and submit the Letter of Intent, to indicate your planned use of the one-time funding.
Once we have received your completed Letter of Intent, you will be sent a contribution agreement and then the full amount of your grant.
We also encourage you to supplement this grant with any other available funding, such as any surplus funding remaining from the 2019/2020 fiscal year.
For questions about this opportunity, please contact Kylee Mayers, Program Officer, FNESC firstname.lastname@example.org.