Math First Peoples Teacher Resource Guide, Elementary & Secondary (Updated 2020)
Designed for teachers in British Columbia, this resource was developed by the First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC), supported by the BC Ministry of Education, and it is grounded in the view that increased student success can be achieved through adjustments in pedagogy and approach that make mathematics feel more inclusive and engaging. Development of this resource has been guided by the following understandings:
- teaching and learning with respect to First Peoples in British Columbia’s school systems should be based on authentic knowledge and understanding, as articulated by Elders, educators, and other content experts from within British Columbia’s First Nations and Métis communities
- decisions affecting teaching and learning with respect to First Peoples in British Columbia’s school systems should take appropriate account of the advice of community leaders from within the province’s First Nations and Métis communities
- while commonalities exist, First Peoples’ cultures within BC are extraordinarily diverse.
The 2020 revision of this document also supports implementation of the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, specifically the call to “integrate Indigenous knowledge and teaching methods into classrooms” (clause 62) and “build student capacity for intercultural understanding, empathy, and mutual respect” (clause 63).
Accordingly, the goals of this guide are:
- to contribute to reconciliation for all by building greater understanding of the skills, knowledge, and perspectives of First Peoples for all students
- to ensure the inclusion of First Peoples knowledge and perspectives is done respectfully and without appropriating First Peoples knowledge
- to encourage and support the respectful development of local teaching and learning resources
- to provide support for the implementation of the BC mathematics provincially prescribed curriculum
We welcome your feedback on our resources.
- BC Tripartite Education Agreement (2018)Jennifer White2022-01-18T16:02:07-08:00
- Operating a First Nations Adult Secondary Education Program (2021)Jennifer White2022-01-11T15:53:57-08:00
- BC First Peoples 12 Teacher Resource Guide 2022Hailey Jang2023-02-01T14:41:35-08:00
- English First Peoples Courses: An IntroductionJennifer White2021-12-13T10:21:00-08:00